Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Leg Day, Why Lord?


My phone screams at me at the ass crack of dawn also known as 5:30 AM. I roll over and laugh maniacally. Getting up at this time was just wishful thinking. I roll over and catch another 25 minutes worth of Z's.

My error didn't take long to manifest.

Tip #1 Don't lie to yourself about what you are going to do. You only hurt yourself.

In order for me to make it to work on time, I have to be on the eastbound train for downtown Dallas that leaves North Lake College Station at 6:17 AM. I live 1.2 miles from the station on the same street and in order to ensure I'm on that train I have to leave my apartment at 6:08 AM. Now since I didn't get up until 5:55,  that makes cooking a decent breakfast impossible. Smartly, I already ironed my clothes for the week, packed my gym bag and lunch, and showered the night before so all I had to do was was my face, brush my teeth, and dart out of the door.

Tip #2 Prepare for the next day the night before. You don't want poor preparation stopping or delaying your workout goals.

I read an article on the train ride to Art District in the 9th largest city in the country about 5 ways we are wasting our workout. Here's a list:

1) Your warm up is too long
2) You're too comfortable (You're not pushing yourself)
3) You're sacrificing proper form for more weight
4) You're neglecting your nutrition (just eating whatever you want)
5) You're full of excuses

I think reading fitness articles really you keep you focused your goal throughout the day. You can find new techniques and bad habits. I usually can't wait to get to the gym.

Full Article Here

Today my focus is to eat meals throughout the entire day and drink more water. I failed my first task within moments of waking up. I thought I could get by on a banana and an apple alone but that only poked the bear. I had to go out and get a breakfast burrito satisfy myself.

We have a gym on the 13th floor of my building so a coworker and I cut out at lunch time to utilize it. I did the P90X Ab Ripper X workout. It's intense but I have been doing it for years so I get a nice ab burn then return to work.

Link to Ab Ripper X Video

The moment I have been dreading since the day before is finally upon me. I can't run from it any longer.




Why does leg suck so much?

Well since we use our legs throughout the entire day, we have to really push our legs to the limit in order to really get any muscle gains and fat loss. I arrive at the gym at 15 minutes until 5.

"I will complete this workout within an hour," I say to myself.

Tip #3 Keep the intensity up during your workout and don't simply stumble from one activity to another.

Here is the routine

Barbell Back Squat     4/10

DB Walking Lunges superset with DB Step Ups  3/12 each leg for each exercise

Leg Extensions 3/12 last set is a drop set

DB Romanian Deadlifts 3/12

Leg Press at 60% of max weight completing as many reps as possible in two minutes

Notes:

A drop set is where you complete the set and then drop it by 30% weight and perform as many reps as possible.


OK so the super set in this workout was absolute murder for me. I guess in essence it's not really ideal because it works the same exact muscle group, but I don't care. The deadlift with dumbbells was awkward to me and I can feel it wasn't truly effective. I'll have find a better exercise to replace this. 


Tip #4 If you aren't truly feeling the exercise, replace it for something more effective that works the same muscle group. 


I ran around the gym looking crazy and sweating up storm, but by cutting out the BS, I was able to finish my workout in 1 hour and 2 minutes. 2 minutes too slow. 

Tip #5 Don't pat yourself on the back for not achieving your goal. Work harder next time. 


Day 2 complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment