Monday, August 25, 2014

About To Hit The J. I. M.

I'm Malcolm Lee Kennedy (MLK) from South Carolina and I live in Dallas, TX.




I took a shower this morning and caught a good look at myself in the mirror in my birthday suit, and I was disappointed.

I'm out of shape....

Well not really. But I'm not where I want to be physically. Where most people seem to gain weight when they don't workout, I'm the complete opposite. I shed muscle like coma patient. I mean I lose it quick. 15 lbs of muscle will disappear in like 2 weeks of no gym time. Even though I'm 184 lbs, at 6'2 I'm not satisfied with it.

Not a picture of me you bastard.

I hear the uproar of the crowd now. "You call that a problem?! I'd give my left nut for that!"

Well strange person who gives up nut quite easily it is a problem to me. It's funny how people society frowns upon talking about overweight people but it's perfectly fine to talk about those who are skinny. They are really two sides of the same coin. We are both far from this:


That's not even fair...

So I created the "30-Day MLK On My Fitness" Challenge to hopefully turn my current situation around. There isn't really much to it. This is just a way of publicly holding myself accountable for the next 30 days and tracking my progress. 

So let us begin before this gets too long.

Here was today's workout.



Chest and Back

Barbell Bench Press 10 reps/ 4 sets
Single Arm DB Row and Single Arm Incline DB Bench Press 12 reps/ 3 sets
Seated Cable Row 12 reps/ 3 sets (Last set was a dropset)
Cable Chest Flye 12 reps/ 3 sets (Last set was a dropset)
50 Pushups
Weighted Hyper-extensions
Machine Chest Press 20 reps/15 reps/ 12 reps (couldn't get the weight right)

Today's weight is 184 lbs (Ok ok 183.8).

This workout took me exactly an hour and not a second more. Which is perfect. I'm not  one of those gym rats who thinks they are saving money on rent by living at the gym. So I try to do a lot of compound exercises to save some time. I found before that if your workout is too stuffed, then eventually you will start dreading it. It's a lot reassuring when you can say to yourself, "It's only an hour." 

Great workout for getting back in the swing of things. Maybe I could have kicked the intensity up by sticking to a 45 second between reps schedule, but I worked up a sweat and I feel great.

Tomorrow brings a day that surely God must have created to punish us.

Leg Day







1 comment: